Sunday, March 25, 2018

Week 11 Prompt

I am a fan of both traditional paper books and e-books. I haven't used audio-books, because they don't really appeal to me. 

The physical differences between books, e-books, and audio-books don't really affect my knowledge of genres. The genre of a story is determined by the writing, the pacing, the language, the setting. I don't believe physical does, or should, have any part of what makes fantasy, fantasy, or fiction, fiction. The readers' ability to change font, line spacing, and text color enhance the pacing and tone, in my opinion. Same with track length, narrator choice, and possible music in audio-books. All this is doing is making stories more accessible. People with reading issues such as dyslexia probably find it easier to read an e-book where they can pick a font that makes it easy to distinguish letters, at a size that they can see easily. Audio-books are great for people who have severe reading disabilities, are blind, or simply find actual reading too tedious. I suppose the narrator does influence how the story is told by choosing the inflection and pacing.

Overall, I think the use of newer media in books is a good thing, and offers a greater appeal to reading. Personally, anything that makes stories more accessible can only be a good thing.

1 comment:

  1. I agree, it gives it greater appeal and more accessibility!

    ReplyDelete