Thursday, February 8, 2018

Adventure Annotation

Title: Spartan Gold

Author(s): Clive Cussler w/ Grant Blackwood

Publication Date: 2009

Genre: Adventure

Number of Pages: 375

Summary:

For Sam and Remi Fargo, treasure hunting is more than digging up riches; it's about the adventure. When this couple saves their friend from his interrogation and would-be murder, they set in motion an adventure that spans centuries. From Xerxes I and Napoleon Bonaparte to old WWII submarines and a current Russian/Persian millionaire, Sam and Remi set out on the biggest, and most dangerous, adventure of their lives.

Characteristics That Fit in Adventure:

  • Action Packed: Every chapter has a mystery to solve and a danger to avoid
  • Hero(es) on a mission: Sam and Remi seek to discover treasures thought either myth or long gone
  • Set in foreign/exotic locales: From the U.S. to France to Russia, this book never sits in one place too long.
  • Brisk pacing: There's no waiting time between location, no conversation that doesn't pertain to the current situation.
  • Tone: dangerous situations are treated seriously and humorously at the same time, not letting the tone become too dreadful but not light-hearted in deference to the situation.
  • Characterization: both characters are committed to their adventure, but take moments to question themselves and each other. Their motives are always clear.

Some Read-A-likes:
  • Deep Fire Rising by Jack Du Brul
  • The Cult of Osiris by Andy McDermott
  • The Aztec Heresy by Paul Christopher

9 comments:

  1. Hi Brittany! I've seen Clive Cussler's name for years, but never looked at his books. Did you like it? Have you read any of his other work? This certainly seems like quite the adventure story. I have to admit it doesn't appeal to me, but it's nice to know what to suggest to someone looking for an adventure story. Nice job on your annotation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the first book of Cussler's that I've read. When I did the secret shopper assignment, this is the author that was recommended to me. The genre as a whole doesn't really appeal to me, but this book was an easy read and enjoyable while it lasted.

      Delete
  2. Brittany, Good job with this. Like Katie said I have seen Clive Cussler's book all the time. I have several people asked me for Clive Cussler books. This sounds like a book that I might want to pick up and read at some point.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was wondering something, you stated that each chapter there was a mystery to be solved. Is there one larger mystery spanning the whole book or is it just smaller mysteries along a journey? I think this book sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's one larger mystery that spans the whole book. Every question and code is interlocked to pull together the big picture.

      Delete
  5. Brittany,
    My parents have read so many Clive Cussler books and I haven't gotten around to it. However, this adventure story that contains time travel sounds amazing! Did you feel the different time periods worked well together? I will definitely have to put it on my reading list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do think that the bits of the past that we're shown work well with the main timeline of the story.

      Delete
  6. Excellent annotation! You did a great job with the summary, appeals, and readalikes. Full points!

    ReplyDelete